Friday, March 27, 2009

My last night in America

Today we had registration and staging in Philadelphia and tomorrow all sixty Peace Corps trainees, including me of course, are leaving early in the morning for JFK. Nothing too interesting has happened yet, all the other trainees seem nice and staging was uneventful, hopefully things continue that way until Kyrgyzstan. We have an eight hour layover in Istanbul and I still haven't decided whether I'll go out and see the city or stay in the airport and nap- I guess I can sleep when I get to Bishkek but I'm also worried about missing the flight from Turkey to K-stan and I don't think they'd leave me behind but who knows. Right now I'm sitting in my hotel room eating my last dinner in America and stressing about how much I've packed.

It still blows my mind every time I think that I am actually getting on a plane tomorrow and going to Kyrgyzstan to become a Peace Corps volunteer. A lot of the other trainees feel the same way; its exciting to have such a longstanding goal be so much more tangible now, especially after the application process where everything was so vague. And oh yeah, apparently I've been saying it wrong this whole time (Maggie you were right!) its pronounced Keer-gizstan.

Next post should be much more interesting because next time you hear from my I'll be in Kyrgyzstan!

2 comments:

  1. Wave to me when you fly over Britain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. woooo!! I actually learned something in my years of MUN

    ReplyDelete